The National Volunteer Fire Council’s (NVFC) National Junior Firefighter Program, in partnership with Scott Safety and Tyco, presented the National Junior Firefighter Academy on November 16 at the Scott Safety headquarters in Monroe, NC. Academy attendees participated in a full day of product demos, a facility tour, and hands-on training drills.
Almost 100 youth and program advisors from the Carolinas attended the Academy. The day started with a kickoff meeting and facility tour, and then the group headed outside to start a five-drill rotation. These included:
- Mini Combat Challenge – Simulating a Scott Combat Challenge, this drill featured a series of small tasks such as carrying a ladder, using a hose, and dragging a dummy.
- Auto Extrication – Instructors demonstrated auto extrication techniques and allowed juniors to practice components of the task.
- EMS – Juniors viewed components of an ambulance and practiced CPR.
- Thermal Imaging Scavenger Hunt – Using a Scott thermal imager, juniors worked in teams to find a heat source in a dark room.
- Hose Obstacle Course – Junior firefighters put on a blacked-out mask and then followed an uncharged hose line over wooden pallets, under tables, and around cones.
The Monroe Fire Department was on hand to display an American flag, and the day wrapped up with a full auto extrication demonstration by adult firefighters. Firefighters from Monroe, Charlotte (NC), and other area departments helped lead the drills.
The Academy provided an excellent opportunity for youth and advisors to share ideas, learn new drills, and make connections with firefighters from other departments. The NVFC thanks Scott Safety for hosting this important training opportunity and all the youth and adult participants who helped make the day a great success.
Stay tuned to the National Junior Firefighter Program web site for future training dates and locations. For information on hosting an Academy at your department or training facility, visit www.nvfc.org/trainingeducation/nvfc-academy-on-site-training/.